Monday, August 1, 2011

Don’t Forget We Are at War

Cowboys and Alien’s and Smurfs beat out Captain America for the number one movie(s) this weekend.  The hubs was floored when I told him.  He said he thought that Captain America would have done better because we are at war so the war movie should hit home with people.  I pointed out that the war has been going on so long that most people don’t even realize right now that we are at war.  Men and women are dying and being shipped home all the time but we look at it as someone else’s war and if it isn’t someone that we know personally then we don’t think about it.  I’m sad to say that until our lil bro was sent over there and then shipped back in a flag draped coffin, it wasn’t on the forefront of my mind.
Unfortunately for me that is the way I am with most things.  If it isn’t happening to me or to someone I know then I just don’t think about it.  I go through life all hum drum and don’t put a lot of thought into each day.  And then I wonder why I’m not where I want to be or doing what I want to be doing.  I wonder if I have and am missing out on things in life that I should have been or be working toward or if there are things I should be working against.  Yesterday our pastor gave a great sermon about the thief that comes to steal, kill and destroy.  He cited many different scripture but one of the scriptures he touched on was Ephesians 6:10-18.  It really hit home with me yesterday that I am fighting everyday against an enemy greater than I but not greater than my God.  The pastor talked about people not going into war without the proper gear because our human bodies are frail and can’t take the hits they have to in war, God knows we are fragile and can’t take the punches the enemy throws our way so He has given us His armor to help protect us.  I am challenging myself to memorize this passage in Ephesians during the month of August and to remember that I may not be overseas having shots fired at me and praying that I don’t step on an IED but I am still in a war each day right here in my own home against a powerful enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment